
Days here move slowly, and I find myself surprised that it hasn’t taken much to adjust to this pace.
It goes without saying that our lives in Brisbane were busy. Between working fulltime, attempting to juggle the needs of our children and our careers (not always successfully) and studying, it often felt that we moved at two speeds- flat out or standing still.
The weeks were flat out, with little time to unwind. Getting home after six, assembling a meal (rarely did I cook as such - god invented “buffets” to save working mother’s sanity), washing, feeding, preparing for the next day. I would eventually stop at about eight once the kids were in bed, and watch mindless TV just to bring myself back down so I could sleep- that’s if there wasn’t work or an assignment to do. Everything would grind to a stop by Friday afternoon, where the ritual was wine, takeaway and anything goes as far as the kids were concerned (including desert first and letting them stay up way too late so that we could spend a few hours enjoying the company of friends). By Sunday lunch, thoughts of the week to come would creep in and uniforms would be ironed, bags packed, lunches made. A good week would be making it to the gym twice, and as for any other time for myself- well, it was rare.
A typical day here looks something like this:
7:00am – Wake up, shepherd kids, self and husband through showers and breakfast. Please note that Paul has registered an official complaint to his inclusion in this sentence.
7:50am – Drop the kids of at school.
8:00am – Gym. I am a member of THE gym in Samoa. Ricki, the manager of the accommodation complex, who is something of a local celebrity himself having been the compere of an early Samoan Idol style show a few years ago, told me that the Prime Minister was working out there this morning, along with several owners of major businesses here in Samoa. I have looked up a picture so I can say Talofa appropriately. Coincidently we also visited the Australian High Commission to vote this week. Seeing very little of what is going on at home but hoping for some stability.
9:30am – Head off to a local café for breakfast after showering at the gym. Read the paper (major corruption crisis in the Samoan Red Cross is making headlines most days, with multiple claims and counter claims) and fend off the sad eyed street sellers, all of whom are either children or disabled. I am reluctant to give them money after Ricki told me a story about giving a child 2 tala then watching him go into a shop and come out with a lit cigarette. As enjoyable as the leisurely breakfast is, I miss the multiple excellent coffee spots around the State Law building. There is no fresh milk in the country and a flat white is just not the same on long life milk.
10:30am – Visit the Samoan library to exchange my books. I have been lead to believe that Samoans are not allowed to borrow the books! I do know I am the only palagi currently borrowing books as my last three entries in the book (all manual systems here) were the most recent borrowing activity. I have yet to find a book that was purchased prior to 2002 and many are covered in a fine layer of dust which I assume is indicative of just how little they are picked up and read. I am currently working through the Bonfire of the Vanities and an old Ken Follet.
11:00am- Pick up vegetables and fruit from the local markets for dinner that night. Bunches of local Boc choy (equivalent of $1.25AU), bananas ($1AU), carrots ($2AU), limes ($2AU a bag), coconuts ($1AU for four) and perhaps a whole tuna ($20AU).
11:30am – Bit of housework (though not much, we are currently getting our unit serviced twice a week including fresh sheets and towels). Yes I am smiling with much satisfaction as I write this.
12:30pm- Lunch sitting by the pool while reading.
1:00pm – A bit more reading or perhaps checking the internet.
1:50pm – Pick up the kids and supervise homework.
3:00pm – Swimming in the complex pool. Catch up with Jenny, Ricki’s wife and shoot the breeze about life in Samoa and juggling family and work. I am appropriately supportive - her life is very busy (the complex is really a 24/7 job and there are many family obligations to meet for both her own and Ricki's families) while secretly feeling very smug that I am on holidays!!
5:00pm – Pick up Dr Paul if he is not engaged in cutting off legs or removing burst appendix.
6:00pm – Dinner.
7:00pm – Conversation. Can you believe it? With very poor TV reception and a generally low tolerance for US Christian TV channels (which perversely are the only clear ones on the TV) we actually engage with each other. With black outs common we have even gone all little house on the prairie and pulled out jig saw puzzles which we work on together (captured in the picture above). Paul and I have been working our way through some TV series we bought with us on the hard drive. Does anyone know what the go is with the United States of Tara-will there be a season two?
8:30pm – Bed. Not always the most tranquil of experiences depending on weather and the dog factor. Paul has taken to yelling at them out the window when the barking gets particularly bad. Apparently they get quite territorial when visiting dog gangs invade their territory, a common occurrence at our neighbours.
Yes, I have probably laid this on a little thick but it is not too far from the reality of my life at the moment to all of our benefits. God knows how I will adjust back to Brisbane in December……..
Sounds fantastic to me - can't wait to join you in some slow days. I have some good news for you though. The second series of the United States of Tara has been on over here. I have missed it, but I will endeavour to bring you a copy of it when I come to visit as part of my 'care package'. That and the Cadbury chocolates that Paul has already requested!
ReplyDeleteLui